The main part of self-directed studies is a group research project defended in the form of PowerPoint presentation.
Main goals of the research project are:
- to deepen students’ knowledge,
- to improve skills in research making,
- to develop skills in public presentation,
- to work in a team.
Students participating in the group research project have to fulfill a certain part of the project according to assignments. For example, the project “Improvement the technology of sodium phosphates production” consists of 4 parts:
- general characteristics and chemical composition of initial reagents based on chemical analyses results,
- research the technological process of target product preparation in different conditions,
- X-ray and infrared identification of the target product prepared in different conditions,
- justification the optimal technological mode of this product preparation.
Every group member fulfills a separate part of the project and herewith the first student passes obtained results to the second participator and so on. As a result of this joint project students defend their research as a presentation and explain obtained results.
Procedure of project defense includes the following steps:
- Presentation (PowerPoint) of research projects is actively discussed with a supervisor and other teachers who evaluate the project goal attainment and give an estimate to the students’ group work.
- During or right after this discussion students are expected to give a «Feedback», via answering the following questions:
What did you know before the research?
What did you learn and discover during the research?
What else would you like to know about this process?
Original author: Galina Seitmagzimova
Creative Commons 3.0 BY SA applies to all content on Starfish.
Starfish-education support for the publishing on Starfish-education.eu does not constitute an endorsement of the
contents, which reflect the views only of the authors and Starfish-education cannot be held responsible for any use
which may be made of the information contained therein. Starfish-education cannot be held responsible for the
content published by authors that is not conform with Creative Commons 3.0 BY SA.